Cleaning a washing machine this way is a straightforward way to laundry greatness. Since a front or top loader is designed to clean your clothes, it’s not always going to stay clean. In addition, washing machines are easy to clean. There is no need to use bleach or solid commercial products if you prefer natural white vinegar or baking powder. You can use our guide to clean your washer from the inside drum to the door seal to the detergent drawer, filter, and exterior.
Washing machines gain dirt over time. The build-up of soap scum causes your washer to need a refresh. Cleaning your washing machine well is essential for preventing odors, mold, and grub in your clothes. I’ll demonstrate how to clean deep both front and top loading washers using vinegar and baking soda. If you deep clean your washing machine once every six months, it will stay fresh and clean.
How to Clean a Washing Machine?
The detergent, fabric softener, body soil, and dirt go into your washer every time you load up to create the perfect breeding ground for mold, mildew, and odors.
- A dedicated washer cleaning cycle is available on most newer models. That cycle has multiple settings – time, agitation, and temperature – and all you need to do is add bleach.
- Alternatively, if yours does not, you can add 1/2 cup of liquid chlorine bleach to it or fill it with hot water and run a normal cycle with that.
- Even if bleach is used alone, it may not destroy all remaining residue. You can clean your machine with these ingredients, such as removing greasy build-up and minerals found in hard water, as well.
- Rinse and spin again once cleaning is complete to ensure no bleach or particle remains remain.
- Removable dispensers should be disassembled, rinsed well in hot water, and reassembled, if necessary. To remove any gunk that has become stuck, use a soft toothbrush. Wipe them clean and reassemble and rejoin them in the machine. Leaving the clothes to air dry if still wet is the best strategy.
- For a front-loader, clean and dry the rubber gasket and drum thoroughly to prevent mold from forming. Leave the lid and door open, or wipe them as well to air dry the entire drum.
Using Baking Soda to Clean a Washing Machine:
- Set your machine on the hottest setting (60oC or higher) and pour its contents directly into the drum.
- Vinegar is a great way to neutralize bacteria, kill odor, and remove odor during the clean cycle.
- If the cycle is over, start the hottest cycle again and add 1/2 cup of baking soda to the drum. After all, work has been completed, wipe down the inside and outside the door, and leave it open to air out.
- Run the washer through the hottest wash cycle, with two cups of white vinegar poured into the detergent drawer.
- When a hot cycle is finished, add 1/2 cup baking soda directly to the drum.
- To finish, wipe the interior of the washer drum with a microfiber cloth and wash the exterior and door seals too.
Cleaning A Washing Machine With Bleach:
If your washing machine does not have a detergent drawer, add half a cup of bleach directly into the drum. Empty the washer and run hot water. During the first hour after your washer is complete, you should pause the wash for about an hour. After that, repeat the process. Remove bleach entirely with an additional rinse cycle. Many pickup and delivery laundry services offer washing machine cleaning as well as repairing services.
If you haven’t done so already, wipe the inside of the door and dry the seals. It is very convenient to use bleach on a washing machine if you are used to cleaning it. In many cases, it is also very effective at cleaning the drum of the washing machine and the detergent drawer, and even the exterior.
Note: Next time you wash something, make sure it is white so any bleach residue left in the washer may benefit instead of harm the clothing.
There is also a chance that your washing machine may be beyond saving and, as a result, you will need to buy a new one. If you’re putting off doing laundry, try using these handy tips for cleaning a washing machine since it might just need some TLC to get your whites as bright as possible.
But before buying your new machine, you can try the ways mentioned above to clean the washing machine. They may help you to clean the washing machine and also save your money.