APPLE HITS BACK AT HACK CLAIMS, ANGRY AT GOOGLE
Apple on Friday responded to Google’s report in a statement stating that the attacks have been identified by Google were through websites targeted toward Uighurs, a Muslim ethnic minority in China, implying that the websites were not a serious threat to Americans or most people in other parts of the world.
Last week, Google published a blog about vulnerabilities that Apple fixed for iOS users in February. We’ve heard from customers who were concerned by some of the claims, and we want to make sure all of our customers have the facts.
First, the sophisticated attack was narrowly focused, not a broad-based exploit of iPhones “en masse” as described. The attack affected fewer than a dozen websites that focus on content related to the Uighur community.
Regardless of the scale of the attack, we take the safety and security of all users extremely seriously. Google’s post, issued six months after iOS patches were released, creates the false impression of “mass exploitation” to “monitor the private activities of entire populations in real-time,” stoking fear among all iPhone users that their devices had been compromised.
This was never the case. Second, all evidence indicates that these website attacks were only operational for a brief period, roughly two months, not “two years” as Google implies.
We fixed the vulnerabilities in question in February, working extremely quickly to resolve the issue just 10 days after we learned about it. When Google approached us, we were already in the process of fixing the exploited bugs.
Security is a never-ending journey and our customers can be confident we are working for them. iOS security is unmatched because we take end-to-end responsibility for the security of our hardware and software.
Our product security teams around the world are constantly iterating to introduce new protections and patch vulnerabilities as soon as they’re found. We will never stop our tireless work to keep our users safe.
Apple’s bone of contention isn’t so much about what Google’s Project Zero team included in its report . Rather, Apple is upset about what was left out.
The view from Cupertino is that Google’s business interests in China led it to pull back on describing the attack as being targeted at the persecuted Uighur community.
“The sophisticated attack was narrowly focused, not a broad-based exploit of iPhones ‘en masse’ as described. The attack affected fewer than a dozen websites that focus on content related to the Uighur community.”
Second, all evidence indicates that these website attacks were only operational for a brief period, roughly two months, not ‘two years’ as Google implies,” Apple further said in the statement.
Meanwhile, a Google spokesman told media that “We stand by our in-depth research which was written to focus on the technical aspects of these vulnerabilities. We will continue to work with Apple and other leading companies to help keep people safe online.”